A Level II ultrasound examination refers to a 'targeted' examination. It is a special type of ultrasound to assess the fetus for structural/anatomical abnormalities and its development. This is usually performed at a perinatal center where more expertise in ultrasound scanning is available. The scan is performed by an experienced sonographer and read by a qualified and experienced doctor who specializes in high risk pregnancies, called a Perinatologist. The scan is usually performed between 18-20 weeks of pregnancy. There are many situations when a level II scan is ordered by your OB. Detailed scanning of the fetus for any congenital anomalies and growth abnormalities is done on top of the basic documentations obtained at the level I examination which is performed in the first trimester. The ultrasonic waves used to image the fetus cannot be heard and produce no sensation to the fetus being imaged. A key benefit of ultrasound is that it does not use x-rays: therefore it is safe for both the fetus and the mother.
Introducing the advanced technology imaging platform of the Voluson® E8, a premier women's healthcare system that delivers a new generation of image quality using ground-breaking diagnostic tools for earlier diagnoses. And opens the door for imaging innovations to come.
- A revolutionary new high resolution 4D transvaginal probe helps you see and detect fetal abnormalities earlier than ever, and significantly improves diagnostic confidence in complex exams.
- New matrix array volume probes establish a whole new category of image clarity for volume imaging. With increased spatial resolution that provides better visualization for 2D and multiplanar imaging.
- The new, automated imaging tool, SonoVCAD - Sonography-based Computer Aided Diagnosis, improves workflow by making it easier to acquire volume images of the fetal heart.
- GE's past is well-known. We have a track record of ultrasound firsts.
- We are the recognized leader in women's healthcare. Now, with the Voluson E8 and its new platform for the future, the possibilities are endless.